Wednesday, May 31, 2006

LOVIN' SUMMER ALREADY!!!!

I am soooo incredibly excited it is summer!! I don't feel the need to rush the kids to bed "on time", don't feel the need to get dressed (in my jammies 2 days in a row now!!), don't feel the need to be a slave to the alarm (actually slept 'til 8:30 yesterday...unheard of!!). And as an added bonus, I am actually doing more cleaning than ever, yea me!!
I am also sooo incredibly excited to homeschool this coming year. I've actually begun with Madison. I got the news a few days before school let out, and it was no surprise just hard to hear, that her teacher had to recommend she repeat 1st grade. I love her teacher. She has been so great this entire year. She'd give extra books for Maddie to read, I'd give her notes to let her know which pages Maddie was good at reading so she wouldn't feel bad during oral reading in class, and she is VERY supportive of our decision to homeschool. She actually homeschooled her 5 children too.
Anyway, she said she hates to ever have a child repeat a grade, but especially Madison. She has everything but the reading...and obviously that is very important. So we are spending the summer trying to get her reading at grade level. But it's so nice to not have her tired out after school and not wanting to do extra work. We just do it and it's done and she can go play. She's already doing great. (And for those of you wondering, they do phonics at her school, but it's just not clicking with Maddie. I even used the "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons". There is a small percentage of children for whom phonics is not the best way to learn to read, and unfortunatley Maddie seems to be one of them...we'll see.)
Right now, Madison and Marshall are upstairs making things out of Kinex for everyone in the family. I love toys that let kids be creative. Madison just made me a row of flowers, complete with leaves. Too cute! Here comes Marshall, he's made me a giant "M" for Mom!! Sweet!
All right, I know this blog has been kind of random, but it's summer man, and I just can't think straight!!

1 comment:

terrible speller said...

i am excited to hear about your decision, no not the one about repeating first grade but homeschooling. :)