Friday, June 02, 2006

Pulling Teeth

Okay, not literally "pulling teeth", but sometimes that's what dinner feels like. I know I've posted about this before, but for goodness sake, could I please get a break?
We had ham, corn, green beans, potatoes, and for good measure I threw some applesauce on the plates cause the kids love it so much. Before the food was on the table we were waiting for Marshall to pray (he was in the bathroom). Madison kept saying how she was "starving". Marshall arrives, we pray, I present the food. We then have a conversation that goes like this:
Madison: I don't eat meat.
Me: Um, did you eat a hamburger last night at Wendy's and ask for another one?
Madison: Yes.
Me: Then you eat meat. Do you love Chick-Fil-A's chicken nuggets and eat a bazillion of them?
Madison: Yes.
Me: Then you eat meat.
Madison: Okay. I don't eat this meat. What animal is it?
Me: I'm not telling you and it doesn't matter anyway cause you're eating it.
Madison: (Well, she didn't actually say anything, just sat with her arms crossed and her lips in a tight thin line.)
Me: You're eating.
Madison: (Crossed arms, lips in thin line.)
Me: Eat or go to bed.
Madison: I'm not hungry...I ate a lot of lunch and breakfast.
Me: Didn't you just say how starving you were?
Madison: (Thinking for a minute) Yeah, but it went away...I'll wait for breakfast.
I could go on, but I won't, it would take too long! She did eat after I informed her her choices were to eat or go to bed. She tried to negotiate just being in her room, not from this momma I told her. And after she began eating she said it "wasn't so bad and I know I'm eating a pig,. You know like 'Babe' pig. How can you make me eat 'Babe'?" I had to cough to cover up my laugh.
Now there may be some of you who think my stand is wrong, or too harsh. However, I am sick to death of throwing away food. I used to cook for 7 people (the number in our family). Not anymore. Now I cook for like 3 1/2 because none of them eat very much. They do have their favorites that they eat and eat and eat, but I think you can die from mac & cheese or PB&J poisoning, can't you? And I am very thankful that they all really like veggies and LOVE fruit. It just irks me that when I actually spend the time to cook a well-balanced meal they don't appreciate or enjoy it. Maybe as time goes by...but I'm not holding my breath!! Oh the drama of dinner.

No comments: