Sunday, February 19, 2006

Stitches


Madison and Marshall spent the night with my parents last night and they were to spend the day at their house today just having fun with Grandpa and Grandma while I was at my house with the three little ones just having fun here.

I wake up after a restless night of sleep looking into the faces of the most beautiful twins in the world. And these twins are asking for chocolate milk and cartoons. We snuggle in bed for a while and then they request pancakes. Lazy me tries to convince them of the merits of the poptart, cereal bar, cereal in a bowl with no milk, even an Eggo. It's no use. I get up and make pancakes and am actually very happy to do it. They smelled sooo good!

The twins eat and then I sit to eat while Cooper is still sleeping peacefully in his bed at almost 9 in the morning. Emma is dressed and Halle and I decide it's a great pj day today. Ha. In my dreams. As I am finishing my last few bites and talking to my John, my parents beep in. Odd, I think to be calling so early. I decide I better answer and it's a good thing too, because my Dad informs me that Madison needs to go to the ER for some stitches. They're not sure exactly how it happened, but she hit her head on their wooden rocker and has a pretty bad cut.

I throw some clothes at Halle, grab Cooper and quickly change his stinky poo and throw them all in the car to race to the hospital to meet my mom and do the exchange of children...I am sooo thankful even more that my parents are here to help in a crisis like this especially with John out of town. Although, come to think of it, if they didn't live here, Madison wouldn't have been at their house, and she wouldn't have fallen and hit her head and needed stitches in the first place...but that's beside the point!!

I tear up when I see my little princess with red, watery eyes holding a washcloth to her bleeding head. I look and to my horror it's not just a simple deep cut, it's a hole like a puncture wound. My baby girl has a hole in her perfectly beautiful face. I try not to vomit at the sight and we go inside to begin the waiting game.

It's not too long of a wait (note to all, any future major illnesses or injuries requiring the ER services should definately occur on a Sunday morning!). The nurse was great...I think his name was Len. The doctor was horrible. His name was Dr. Ghandy (note to all, if you are at Eastside and Dr. Ghandy shows up, request someone else).

He does nothing to help ease Madison's fears of stitches and starts poking at her holey head. He leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a needle of numbing medicine and just starts shoving it in her head as blood gushes down her cheek freeking her and me out. Then using the force of an elephant he presses and presses and presses on her head all the while tears are rolling down her face. I am whispering to her that she is being big and brave and trying to convince myself that I am big and brave too, praying that he hurries up already.

He tells her she won't feel the stitches and starts in. With the first poke of the needle she almost jumps off the table. She tells me it does hurt and I tell him. He says, and I quote, "I seriously doubt it is hurting her." I want to slap that man so bad. He does the second stitch and she nearly jumps off the table again. Then he walks out. No good-bye. No hope you feel better. No drop dead. Nothing.

Thankfully nice nurse Len comes in and wipes off her face and puts a band-aid on and makes her feel so much better. He tells her to be careful and to have a good rest of the Sunday. I like Len. He knows kids...much better than stupid Dr. Ghandy.

We go to Target to get a toy for being so good (it's become our ritual with all the stitches Marshall has gotten). I take her back to Grandma and Grandpa's for her to spend the rest of the day because that's what she wants to do. The rest of us come home and just veg all day. The house is a mess. Well, the dishes are done...big whoop. But I don't care about the mess. I've spent the day playing with my kids and having fun doing it. If anybody expects a house with 5 children all ages 6 and under to be clean, you are seriously delusional!

Madison should be home soon and I can't wait to tuck her into my bed again tonight! I love that strong-willed, firey, gentle, shy, loving little girl. With all my heart!!

1 comment:

johnvano said...

Honey,
Thanks for all you did yesterday to take care of our Madison and love her. I wish I could have been with you at the hospital--reading this makes me even madder about the treatment she got then when you told me on the phone. I'm glad to hear Maddie is doing fine and that the two of you are having so much fun together.
Bubbie